Director: Institutional Advancement
Director: Institutional Advancement
ALICE-BHISHO-EAST LONDON CAMPUSES
5 YEAR FIXED TERM CONTRACT – REF NO.: 41
SALARY: R 1 091 804 – R 1 364 755 (All-inclusive package)
The Director: Institutional Advancement is responsible for designing and implementing comprehensive institutional advancement programs, annual fund, corporate and foundation relations, major gifts and gift planning, endowment, capital campaigns, and alumni and constituent relations efforts. The Director will be expected to work closely with the Vice - Chancellor, Deputy Vice - Chancellors, Registrar, Deans, Directors, the Fort Hare Foundation and various senior officials in visioning and planning the work of the department. Key responsibilities will be to build and protect the image and reputation of the University by monitoring its media engagement, reputation, corporate Identity and electronic media platforms. In addition, the Director will work closely with other members of the staff in South Africa and across the world. This position reports to the Vice - Chancellor.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and conduct a comprehensive review of policies and improve the processes to align best practice, legislation, culture and UFH strategy;
- Build relationships with senior management and maintain close working relationships with members of Council and alumni/friends
- Foster long-term community relations.
- Participate in strategic discussions and develop programs to strengthen the financial resources of the University.
- Create and execute development plans that utilize best practices in annual, major, and planned gift programmes to meet fundraising goals.
- Work closely with the Vice Chancellor in all phases of his advancement and campaign leadership activities.
- Maintain a dynamic portfolio of major gift prospects in all phases of qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Execute existing campaign plans and create future campaign initiatives in support of the UFH strategy.
- Develop annual plans and budgets for Alumni Relations, Annual Scholarship Fund, Gift Planning, Development, and Capital Campaigns.
- Direct, coach, evaluate and inspire staff toward accountable goal oriented outcomes.
- Devise effective internal and external messaging and methods of communication.
- Be active and involved in the advancement profession and keep UFH visible among higher education peer institutions.
- Develop and implement marketing and communications strategies to improve the image of UFH;
- Strengthen the UFH brand through programmes that encourage UFH staff across three campuses to respect and promote the UFH brand;
- .All other duties as assigned by the Vice Chancellor.
- Ability to function under stressful situations conditions
- Conflict management ability and strong mediation skills
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETENCIES:
- A bachelor’s degree is required and a master’s degree is a recommendation.
- Minimum of five years of experience as a senior level advancement professional, preferably in higher education, is required.
- The successful candidate will display a personal commitment to the mission of UFH.
- The ability to work effectively and efficiently with many constituencies in a university environment should be evident.
- Other important characteristics include a strong work ethic, personal integrity, excellent communication skills, strategic thinking, and planning skills.
- Proven experience in Report and Proposal Writing and in Fund-raising, Solicitation & administration of donations and/or Corporate Marketing and Communications
- Proven track record in managing people and building teams
- Some budgeting and business acumen
- Public speaking
CLOSING DATE: 21st October 2018
To apply: Interested applicants who meet the criteria are invited to:
- E-mail application with MOTIVATION LETTER CLEARLY INDICATING THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR, accompanied by a complete CV which must contain the contact details (email and telephone) of three referees, a certified copy of an identity document and a certified copy of your highest qualification to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications must CLEARLY INDICATE THE REFERENCE NUMBER AND NAME OF THE POST APPLIED FOR ON THE SUBJECT LINE.
- No faxes or walk-ins (hard copies) will be accepted.
- Applicants are urged to ensure that their applications reach the Human Resources Department before the closing date. Late applications will not be considered.
- Failure to comply with the above directions will result in the application being disqualified.
Note: Correspondence will be conducted with short-listed candidates only. Foreign qualifications must be accompanied by an evaluation certificate from SAQA.
Included in the above remuneration is the company contribution to our compulsory pension fund, medical aid contributions, life cover and an optional annual bonus. The University of Fort Hare is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Pursuant to complying with the Employment Equity Act No.55 of 1998, when appointing preference will be given to applicants from designated groups whose appointments will contribute towards achievement of equitable demographic presentation of our workforce profile. The University reserves the right NOT to appoint